Being a mama can be exhausting yet amazing! Why is it that some women seem to be able to ‘hold it together’ better than others? I’m certainly holding it together and I think or hope that I’m doing a good job with this journey called parenting. BUT… did I mention that I haven’t slept through the night since April 11, and before that it was July 2014? I’m labeling myself as a “Mombie” and I’m ok with it!
The Urban Dictionary defines “Mombie,” as a woman who has a child and becomes a different person than she was before (often a former feminist); her conversations all revolve around toilet training, feeding schedules, and the occasional housework; so-called because there’s a certain glazed look in the eyes and she appears to have been brainwashed.
I have a 3.5 year old son and a 13 month old son and I work part-time. My 3.5 year old gets up once every night to use the restroom which is no problem but he has to tell me he is up so I can turn the light on and cater to him so he will go back to bed. My 13 month old son has slept through the night about 5 times in his little life. He gets up every night at least once but sometimes twice. Goodness, I’m exhausted.
My boys are amazing and I know there will be a time when I look back and dream of those nighttime cuddles. My boys will only be little for so long and I’m happy that my conversations revolve around them. I may be a little brainwashed by their constant needs and I’m ok with that for right now. I look forward to their curious eyes, engaging smiles and innocent adventures. I will admit I would like to get more sleep but that will come with time.
So, how do you know if you are a “Mombie?” I asked some of the other Dayton Mom’s Blog contributors and here is what we came up with…
You might be a “Mombie” if you…
- Haven’t slept through the night in at least 2 months.
- forget to call to make a doctor’s appointment despite your post it note reminder on the door, on your phone and on the car’s windshield.
- seriously consider how you could get a caffeine IV drip.
- wonder what damage the preschooler will cause if you try to take a cat nap while the baby sleeps.
- Put diapers in your purse & tampons in the diaper bag.
- Pulled into the office only to realize you’ve been jamming out to Casper Babypants and your kids haven’t been in the car for almost 15 minutes. In my defense his songs are super catchy!
- Haven’t blown your hair dry for 3 months.
- Found yourself bouncing (like when you hold a baby) when having conversations with only adults.
- Forgotten your husband…boss…co-worker…nanny…or brother’s name when trying to think of it quickly.
- When you reach into your purse for chapstick and pull out a binkie….a diaper…wipes….or anything baby related.
- Making crazy/silly baby faces and talking baby talk to your four-year-old.
- Start jamming to Mother Goose Club “tunes” when u are cleaning hpuse and kids are sleeping.
- Leave the house and get half way to work realizing that you are still wearing your slippers.
Are you a “Mombie?” Why or why not?