This month’s edition of the Dayton Dozen is sponsored by our friends at Goldfish Swim School in honor of National Water Safety Month. Goldfish Swim School is devoted to WATER Safety Awareness and work to keep families (especially toddlers) safe in and around the water. Specifically, instructors use integrity, compassion and trust to teach kids and their parents the WATER safety guidelines. Not sure what those are? Here you go:
WATER safety guidelines
Wear your life jacket!
Act. Throw! Don’t go.
Take swimming lessons.
Educate, learn swim safety skills.
Respect, play it cool and follow the rules.
And without further adieu… here is your May Dayton Dozen!
Farm Volunteer Work Days – Yellow Springs
***DMB Tip: Teach the kids to volunteer early and often with this family fun event that help keep Glen Helen beautiful
- May 2; 6pm
- Antioch Farm Assistance- Support students and staff at Antioch Farm by helping with the harvest, caring for farm animals, and general farm needs. Seasonal, spring through fall. Contact Kat Christian for information.
Owl Walk Night Hike – Dayton – Wegerzyn Gardens
***DMB Tip: Bring some glow bracelets as well as flashlights to keep an eye on littles ones who wander…
- May 2; 7:30pm
- Take a hike around the trails at Wegerzyn. Learn about the different sounds our evening critters make, discover you very own night vision, and even see a real owl! We’ll meet in the parking lot.
- Bring a flashlight.
SICSA Preschool Tails – Kettering
***DMB Tip: Pre-register, these events always sell out!
- May 4; 10am
- Preschool Tails is an hour-long program in which SICSA staff read a fun children’s picture book with a humane theme and complete a craft or activity. Children will also have a chance to interact with adoptable pets.
- Ages 3-5
Jedi Academy – Vandalia
***DMB Tip: Make sure to dress in your best Star Wars clothing for a galactic good time!
- May 4; 6pm (3-6 years old) & 7pm (7-12 years old)
- Make light sabers, complete a Jedi obstacle course, make a treat and other related activities
Wright Patterson AFB Family Fun Fest Carnival – Beavercreek
***DMB Tip: This festival runs two weekends – so don’t try to do it all in one day!
- May 5th – 12th; Hours vary each day
- Carnival games, rides, food…kicking off the Summer festival season!
- Open to the public and located on Springfield St. – 1/2 Mile Northeast of the Air Force Museum across from Gate 1-B.
Mom & Me Fairy Princess Party – Vandalia
***DMB Tip: Join your princess and wear your own princess best or tiara.
- Dress your 2-6 year old up in their fairy princess costume.
- Participants will create a special secret garden, decorate cookies, enjoy snacks, and at the end receive their fairy princess wings.
Mother’s Day ~ Tea, Cupcakes & Embroidered Napkins – Twist Cupcakery, Dayton
***DMB Tip: Since this is before Mother’s Day – think of making these for grandparents or other moms in your life.
- May 7; 12-3
- Eat delicious cupcakes fromTwist Cupcakery as you learn to embroider signatures onto napkins.
- Supplies, cupcakes and tea all provided…What a great tradition to start!
- Ages 7 and up
Science Saturday with Mister C – Dayton Engenneer’s Club
***DMB Tip – Curious what this is about…check out Mister C’s YouTube Channel
- May 13; 9:30-10:30
- Nothing else like this in Dayton – a live science show at the Engineers Club of Dayton.
- Let kids learn science the fun way with Mister C
Big Rig Gig – Centerville – Oak Grove Park
***DMB Tip: There are a lot of trucks to see and climb in – arrive early!
- May 13; 10-Noon
- climb on the big vehicles from around town! Honk a fire truck horn, shift the gears of a Centerville-Washington Park District tractor, check out the buttons in the law enforcement vehicles and much more.
Farm Babies Fest – Dayton – Aullwood Farm
***DMB Tip: Leave some time to explore Aullwood – the whole place is amazing!
- May 13; 10am-5pm
- Enjoy a wonderful day of baby animals, farm experiences, great food
- The day’s activities include: Live shows featuring Duck Tails, Gem City Jumpers Competitive Jump Rope Team, Chris Rowlands, Miami Valley Dance Council Square Dancers and Aullwood’s Wildlife Wonders;
- Draft horse and tractor wagon rides ($1/person);
- Free children’s activities, old fashioned games and craft making;
- Delicious sandwiches featuring Aullwood’s meats, gourmet Mexican dishes, brick-oven pizzas, lemon shake-ups, sugar waffles, kettle corn, grilled cheese sandwiches and home-baked goodies
- Demonstrations of blacksmithing, wool felting, beekeeping, picture puzzles, dog training and duck herding
- Pond exploration, drawing to win a new Huffy 26” Coca-Cola bicycle, 50/50 raffle and Balloon Man
A World A’Fair – Dayton International Festival – Downtown Dayton
***DMB Tip: One of my favorite events of the year – come hungry (and thirsty) – the kids will love all the dancers in costume.
- May 19/20/21; Varied Times
- Food & drink from every country/culture that you can imagine!
- Music – Dancing – Traditional Costumes!
Feast of the Flowering Moon Festival – Chillicothe, OH
***DMB Tip: Make a weekend out of it & stay at a hotel to enjoy all the festivites
- Memorial Day Weekend
- This four-day festival offers plenty of family-friendly entertainment including: Native American music and dancing, crafters and exhibits, commercial exhibits.
- Also visit the Mountain Men Encampment with working craftsmen and demonstration, art & craft show
- Continuous entertainment on the main stage & carnival rides throughout!