Ah February. Whether you love getting weather reports from a rodent or just binge eating chocolate hearts, this fabulous month is headed our way. There are many (oh, so many) equally fabulous options for fun all around us!
- Cinemark at The Greene– Beavercreek, OH
***DMB Tip- Get there with plenty of time for good seats. Many movies sell out at this great price!
- Every Wednesday
- Movies are just $5.50 all day
- Use your judgement on age-appropriate movies
- Stay inside on those snowy or rainy days and enjoy a new movie and a cuddle with the kids!
2. Groundhog Day at Boonshoft Museum of Discovery– Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip- Most zoos and children’s museums in the area have reciprocal bennies with Boonshoft, and members can get in for half price! Check out the reciprocity list here.
- Feb 2 at 10:00am
- FREE, but does not include museum admission ($11.50 for kids 3+ and $14.50 adults)
- All ages
- Boonshoft’s African Pygmy Hedgehog “Quilliam” will predict if we are getting spring or 6 more weeks of winter! Of course a hedgehog is the perfect go-to for meteorology, just wait and see!
3. Doo Your Moo at Young’s Jersey Dairy– Yellow Springs, OH
***DMB Tip- Get the family involved in a “cow approved” meal, complete with Moo tryouts beforehand! Do cows eat salad and broccoli? Why yes Timmy, they do!
- Jan 30-Feb 5
- Purchase an ice cream/shake etc and Moo to the cashier for a free upgrade
- All ages
- Make sure you practice ahead of time, word is that the judges know their moos and can tell if you’re not a serious moo-er. Be creative!
4. Behind the Scenes Tour at USAF Museum– Fairborn, OH
***DMB Tip- Leave the younger kids with a sitter and enjoy some time with your bigger kids.
- Fridays in Feb 12:15pm
- Ages 12+
- Registration is required and fills up quickly, register online
- Guests are shuttled to the restoration hangars, a mile from the museum. There you can see the restoration that goes into the planes before they hit the museum floor. Whether your big kid just likes history, planes, art or any kind of building, s/he’s bound to be excited by all the cool things happening in that hangar!
5. Stars, S’mores and More at Bellbrook-Sugarcreek Park District– Bellbrook, OH
***DMB Tip- Dress warm and don’t forget the gloves. An indoor area will be available with hot chocolate. Bring your own telescopes (or even binoculars) if you have them, and download a star gazing app for your phone so you can name the stars that your kids find!
- Feb 4 6:00-8:00pm
- No registration needed
- Open to all ages
- Local astronomers will have telescopes set up to see our nearest neighboring solar system. Venus and Mars will be visible, as well as the Moon as a waxing gibbous (more than 50% illuminated)!
6. Animal Buddies at SICSA Pet Adoption Center– Kettering, OH
***DMB Tip- This is right after dinner, so be sure to wash hands really well so they won’t smell like a yummy treat to the animals. Add a little love by taking a donation for the animals! Here’s a list of current needs.
- Feb 7 6:00-7:30pm
- $6 (to a great cause)
- Ages 5-7
- Pre-registration required
- This night is filled with hands-on activities and of course, animal interactions and is geared toward promoting respect and empathy for animals.
7. Tiny Thursdays at Dayton Art Institute– Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip- Be sure to bring a backpack or other comfortable bag to carry while you view the gallery. Also, a gallon ziploc bag holds art projects safely upon completion.
- Feb 9 & 16 11:15am-12:15pm
- $6-$8 (depending upon member status)
- Ages 2-5, baby siblings welcome
- Advance registration recommended
- This month’s theme is Our Neighborhood. Kids will enjoy story time, a gallery visit and a make and take-home art project. Art is fun, no matter your age!
8. Youth Rec Sampler at Payne Rec Center– Moraine, OH
***DMB Tip- It’s cold outside, but running around warms kids right up. Be sure to dress them in layers, all the way down to shorts and t-shirts for your kiddos’ comfort.
- Saturdays in Feb 9:00am-11:00am
- $1 per child
- Ages 6-10
- No registration required
- This is a drop-in program that provides the opportunity for kids to play a variety of sports, such as dodgeball, basketball and kickball.
9. Family Day at Decoy Art Studio– Beavercreek, OH
***DMB Tip- Definitely dress for the mess and bring along your inner artistic diva!
- Feb 12 1:00pm, 2:00pm and 3:15pm
- $25/Family or $20/person, depending on art project
- Some options: all ages, some: 4 yrs+
- Registration required
- This family day offers three different parent/child/sibling options. Whether you want to go the all-age route and make Handprints in Clay, or the 4 year plus option and Canvas Paint or make Pottery on a Wheel, this small-shop, local favorite is sure to leave you with paint on your hands and warmth in your heart!
10. Big Backyard at Narrows Reserve-Nature Center– Xenia, OH
***DMB Tip- Remember to wear comfortable shoes for the hike, but not your favorites, as the ground could be soggy (aka muddy) this time of year and you won’t have fun if you’re ruining your fave shoes!
- Feb 15 9:30am-10:30am and 6:30pm-7:30pm
- $5 resident, $7 non-resident
- Ages 2-5
- Registration required by Feb 13
- Explore nature in the winter! Kids will discuss a new topic, create a related craft and take a hike in the woods. The sweetest part is February’s craft is making maple syrup!
11. President’s Day Ice Skating at RiverScape MetroPark– Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip- Riverscape offers ice skating lessons from kids all the way to adults. It’s a 3-week session and comes with 2 free admissions. Here’s information.
- Feb 20 11:00am-5:00pm
- $7, 3 and under free with paying adult
- All Ages
- No registration required
- Enjoy a day off school with a skate around the covered ice rink and a hot cocoa from the Snack Bar!
12. Free Wall Night at Vandalia Rec Center– Vandalia, OH
***DMB Tip- Wear athletic or soft, stretchy clothing to get the most out of your climb!
- Feb 21 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Enjoy a night up in the clouds, on the 27 foot climbing wall. It’s sure to be a challenge you’ll all love, whether you’re a novice climber or completely experienced!