Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing an OB/GYN who is Right for You
- Birth plan. Do you want to try for a VBAC, a water birth, or other natural birthing options? It is important to choose a provider who will work with you regarding any specific requests you may have.
- Hospital affiliation. If it is important to you that you deliver at a specific hospital, you will want to make sure the provider you choose will deliver there.
- Practice size and other details. Do you want a female physician? Is having multiple locations important to you? Do you prefer a small practice? All of these details impact which OB/GYN is a good fit for you.
- Insurance and/or out of pocket cost. Of course, you should try to find a provider who accepts your insurance, but exploring billing practices and cost is important, especially if you don’t have maternity insurance.
- Comfort. In the end, it is important that you choose a provider and a practice who “feel” right to you. A bedside manner that works for you and the ability to make you feel well cared for is probably the most important detail of all.