Clean Eating. Detox. Organic. Superfoods.
It’s no secret that healthy buzzwords are alive and well in 2018. As a society, we seem to be more and more careful about diet and nutrition. The majority of the time I, too, am conscious about what I put into my body in terms of food.
But what about what I’m using on the outside? After all, the skin is the body’s largest organ. Shouldn’t we be treating it with kindness as well? Since becoming a mom, I have tried to be more thoughtful about the self-care products we use in our home. I don’t want my daughter using products full of chemicals, parabens, and sulfates. On my quest to find safer options for her, I’ve discovered that I love many of the items myself.
In today’s green market full of more choices than ever, it can be overwhelming to think about totally overhauling your familiar beauty routines. However, you can start small – and the best part is that it doesn’t even have to break the bank!
Here are my top 5 natural beauty buys:
- Shower Scrubs – I’m just going to say it: shower scrub > body wash. I actually feel like I’m getting clean when I use a scrub. I am partial to sugar scrubs because they are gentler on skin than salt scrubs. If you’re into DIY, you can easily make these at home with just a handful of simple (and all very easy to pronounce!) ingredients. My favorites use almond oil because who doesn’t love smelling like freshly baked cookies?
- Body Butter – Body Butter is like regular lotion’s sophisticated older sister. There is just something so much more luxurious about body butter – even the name is lavish! It is rich, creamy, and a little bit goes a long way. I am a fan of the ones with basic components: shea butter, coconut oil, and essential oils. Body butter delivers baby soft skin even during harsh Ohio winters, so that’s a big win in my book!
- Oils – Never in a million years did I ever think I’d advocate for putting oil on my face! I’ve spent most of my life with oily skin and was always so self-conscious about being too “shiny”. But then, pregnancy – the great skin game-changer! I now have classic combination skin and like using oils on the dry areas of my face, particularly this time of year. Oils can also be used to brighten your skin – shout-out to all of my fellow dark-circled Mamas!
- Lip care – Did you know there are often over 15 ingredients in lip balms? Such a small product shouldn’t have complicated elements. I prefer to go natural with my lip care with beeswax and various oils. I even have some fancy-schmancy ‘lip conditioners’ that make me feel much more glamorous than I really am.
- All the Charcoal – I have been a proud member of the charcoal bandwagon for years. Give me all the soaps, masks, and toothpastes! Activated charcoal is a beauty miracle worker; it can be used to remove bacteria and dirt from your skin, AND it can even whiten your teeth. (Bonus: it is sensitive skin friendly!) If you haven’t tried it yet, you are missing out!
Whole Foods has an excellent beauty department. Some of my other favorite natural lines are Skin Foodie (a local brand!) and Living Simply Soap (another local find!). Beautycounter is also a great resource for safer beauty options.
Try to make a few small changes to your self-care routines in 2018. I’m giving you total permission to go ahead and be a little indulgent! Treat yo’selves – naturally!