The mamas and little ones in the Dayton area are very close to our heart here at Dayton Mom’s Blog. And when someone is hurting we want them to feel safe and be protected. We want them to have the knowledge and resources needed to make it on their own. For this reason, I have chosen Artemis Center as my Heart of DMB post.
October is Domestic Violence Awareness month. In one way or another most of us have been touched by violence in our lives. It’s a sad reality but reality nonetheless. I remember when I was in high school my locker was next to a couple of older kids. The male in this relationships was very controlling and not at all nice to the female. He came just short of physical violence. But this was in a public setting next to other teenagers and the watchful eyes of teachers. I always worried how things were when no one else was around. Years later, as a young adult, I was in an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship. I lived in a state of confusion and fear and it was almost impossible to make a rational decision.
Now, I’m in a loving marriage with three beautiful girls but domestic violence awareness is still close to my heart. I want other women to know there is help out there. I want them to know that making decisions is hard and scary. But there are resources out there to help you and to make those decisions a bit easier.
I work at a company that is very dedicated to our community. I’ve had several opportunities to volunteer and meet the ladies that operate the Artemis Center. The compassion they have for those hurting is genuine. They truly love our community and want to help our hurting ladies.
So what exactly is the Artemis Center?
Artemis Center has served more than 95,000 victims of domestic violence and their children through crisis intervention, safety planning, education, and support. Artemis Center empowers victims of domestic violence to make decisions and choices that will establish and maintain safety for themselves and their children. By working collaboratively with other community services, Artemis Center advocates are able to coordinate needed services.
All Artemis Center services are provided free to victims of domestic violence and their children. Services include:
- 24-hour Artemis Center Domestic Violence Hotline, 937.461.HELP(4357)
- Crisis intervention and supportive services
- Assistance with the legal process
- Children’s and Family therapy program
- Support/education groups
- Referrals to Crime Victims Compensation and other community resources
- Workplace Safe from Domestic Violence Program
- Community education
Some Artemis stats:
- 4,387 victims of Domestic Violence and their children were provided life-saving programs and services through Artemis Center in 2016 at no cost to them.
- 100% of caregivers reported that their child was coping better since receiving child therapy services from Artemis Center.
- 25% more children witnessing domestic violence received child therapy through Artemis Center in 2016 compared to 2015.
- 17% more families experiencing domestic violence received family therapy through Artemis Center in 2016 compared to 2015.
It is our hope that if you are hurting you get the help needed. You are loved, valued and cared for!