Are you looking for the perfect healthy and wholesome treat to take to your next holiday party?
Well, then…this is not the recipe for you!
Are you looking for a recipe that will indulge that sweet tooth and be the biggest hit at your next holiday party?
Well, then, this is the recipe for you!
These chocolate caramel squares are a delicious layer of shortbread, topped with some homemade stovetop caramel, and then finally topped with chocolate icing. These have long been a family favorite and they are even included in the special cookbook that my Mom made for my wedding present. Although I don’t make them often, they are such a special treat and are enjoyed by everyone!
It’s simple and delicious, and I think that it will become a tried and true family favorite of yours, too!
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tb sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 Tb sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tb corn syrup or honey
- 1 can of chocolate icing
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup margarine, 2 Tb sugar, and 1 1/2 cup flour.
- Add more flour as needed until it has formed into a dough. Do not over mix.
- Press into an 8 x 8 pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While shortbread is baking, heat 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c sugar, 4 T sweetened condensed milk and 2 T corn syrup or honey in a medium saucepan.
- Heat to boiling and boil 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour immediately onto shortbread.
- Leave in a cool place until caramel topping has hardened, about 2 hours.
- Spread with chocolate icing.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Although these do not need to be refrigerated, we have found that they taste best and hold their shape best if refrigerated.