September is the start of fall – and the season for festivals!! Bring on the warm days and cool nights! Here is a list of Dayton Mom’s Blog approved events in September!
1. Montgomery County Fair – Dayton, Ohio at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds
***DMB Tip – Go during the day – it it less hectic and easier to get in & out.***
- Fair foods, carnival rides, games with prizes and lots of furry animals to pet = also kids LOVE the demolition derby – you will catch it on Sunday, 9/5 at 7pm
2. Alter Fest – Kettering, OH
***DMB Tip – The festival is bigger than it looks – wonder around to not miss all the food and games!***
- Amazing kids rides & games, tons of food (chicken dinner, Corn on Cob, Pizza, Cabbage Rolls, Cheeseburgers, Icecream, Pork Chops, BW3’s,…and much much more)
- Something for parents too (blackjack, poker, other card games + beer & wine)!
3. Ohio Renaissance Festival – Harveysburg, OH
***DMB Tip – Check out the themed weekends where your littles (and you) can dress up to be a part of the festivities (Time Travelers, Pirates, Barbarians…to name a few)!***
- If you’ve never been – this is a MUST – a kids and adult delight! Artisan Marketplace, live jousting, roaming entertainment, craft demos, lots of costumes, sideshows, hearty themed food!
4. Kettering Holiday at Home Festival & Parade – Kettering, OH
***DMB Tip – The parade crowds are no joke – get there early if you want to grab a spot where the littles can watch.***
- Live music, arts & crafts, Kids Zone…and a parade – are all the reasons to head to Kettering for this event celebrating Labor Day!
5. Dayton Greek Festival – Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip – Definitely leave with a box of the assorted pastries – they are great to sample with the family.***
- Great outdoor event that brings all things Greek to Dayton- lots of costumed dancing, incredible food & Zorba Zone kids area.
6. Italian Fall Festa – Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip – Sunday is by far the calmest day – so head there then; also get there early because the calzones & canolis are so good they sell out quickly!***
- This event is all things Italian – food, dancing, bocce ball…wine! Can you believe they make over 4,000 homemade calzones!
- Also – look for DMB Contributor Stephanie Johnson who will be there volunteering all weekend!
7. Beavercreek Popcorn Festival – Beavercreek, OH
***DMB Tip – Visit the shade tent to the side of the kids zone – Adults can cool off & get free bottles water.***
- Who doesn’t like popcorn? Pop over to this festival to dive into all things popcorn. It features over 200 booths and a kids area with inflatables & puppet shows.
8. Ohio Fish & Shrimp Festival – Urbana, OH
***DMB Tip – Do you like to fish? Bring the fishing polls and start or end the day at Pointe North – 4 beautiful lakes that sit just south of the property.***
- Live music all weekend, coloring contest, kids area (feed trout by hand, gem mining, face painting, bounce house) & Shrimp peeling contest make this a unique festival that is worth the visit.
9. Buttercream Festival -West Carrollton, OH
***DMB Tip – Ride your bike to the festival – it takes place right near the Great Miami River Bike path!***
- Buttercream – does it get any better than this? Eat cupcakes and other treats, admire the spooky cakes in the cake decorating contest or enter the Miss Buttercream (open to all Dayton residents).
10. Annual Wool Gathering Show – Yellow Springs, OH
***DMB Tip – Go for the festival – but definitely get some ice cream! The special flavor of the week will be “Wooly Wonka”!***
- A festival of all things wool at one of the best family friendly places in Dayton – Young’s Dairy. Observe sheep, llamas, alpacas, cashmere goats & angora rabbits – see wool shearing & spinning demonstrations, visits 100s of vendors from all over the country.
11. Oktoberfest – Dayton, OH
***DMB Tip – Go during the day – the night-time gets packed and a little rowdy! Plus parking close at night can be a challenge.***
- Head to the Dayton Art Institute for this huge celebration – including two huge craft tents, lots of food, a big kids area…and of course beer!
12. Germantown Pretzel Festival – Germantown, OH
***DMB Tip – The pretzel line gets really long – so get in it early!***
- Pretzels! Isn’t that enough? If not – there are also rides, food trucks and games.
We know this is only a handful of the amazing events happening in and around Dayton, so feel free to post events YOU recommend in the comment section
Don’t forget to share your festival fun with us on Facebook & Instagram – use the tag #daytonmomsblog to let us know the fun you are having out an about on the town!