Going back to school can be a bummer after weeks of summertime fun, so I want to offer a few playful breakfast ideas.
In addition to being fun, they are quick to prepare and nourishing. To make sure breakfast is wholesome I always try to check off these 3 boxes:
- Whole Grains
- Produce (Fruits and/or Veggie)
- Protein & Healthy Fat
Why? The whole grains and fresh produce offer sustained energy and the protein and healthy fat will keep little ones feeling full until lunchtime.
Try these breakfast options in order to mix up your morning routine.
Breakfast Banana Split
- Greek Yogurt
- Slice a banana lengthwise and place in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop yogurt in between the banana slices.
- Top with the granola and berries.
Tip: We recommend choosing full-fat Greek yogurt because it wards off hunger longer thanks to its higher protein and fat content.
- Whole Wheat Tortilla
- Peanut Butter (or spread of choice)
- Spread peanut butter on a whole wheat tortilla.
- Lay a banana on top of peanut butter (start banana close to one edge).
- Carefully roll up the banana in the tortilla and slice.
Tip: Substitute hazelnut butter for peanut butter as a special treat or healthy dessert. If you have a nut allergy, this will work well with cream cheese, sunflower butter or yogurt instead of PB.
- Peppers, sliced in rings
- Whole Wheat English muffins
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat (spray with oil if not non-stick).
- Once hot, add pepper ring to pan. Press ring so it sears and seals to pan slightly (this will prevent egg from running out).
- Crack egg into small bowl.
- Turn heat to low and pour egg inside ring.
- Cover and cook until egg is done. (5-8 minutes).
- Remove from pan, season with salt and pepper and serve on whole wheat English muffins.
Rice Cake Animals
- Brown rice rice cakes
- Spread of choice (peanut butter, cream cheese, greek yogurt, etc)
- Assorted fruit
Top rice cake with spread and create animal face.
- Elephant: Apple ears, banana & blueberry eyes, banana trunk
- Bear: Kiwi ears, blueberry eyes, banana & blueberry nose
- Sea turtle: Grape head and feet, kiwi body, apple fins
- Owl: Banana & blueberry eyes, raspberry nose, strawberry and grape feathers
- Lion: Grape and raisin eyes, banana & blueberry nose, strawberry ears and clementine mane
Want more ideas? Check out our 3 ingredient breakfast ideas!